Thursday, August 28, 2008

Let's make the most of it all

I'm recently married, young (25), intelligent, easy going, organized, professional when I need to be, laid back when I need to be, relatively healthy, resourceful, organized, creative, and I seem to have all the time in the world to follow my dreams.

That is not to say that I think I will live forever, or that I feel as though I can take my time in accomplishing my dreams. No. Certainly not. It is only to say due to some health issues over the past year and a half I have had a lot of time with no job, no school, little financial responsibilities and large amounts of time at home.

It first started when I became ill and was unable to keep a job and keep my health. As I was spending most of my savings on getting by and spending a lot of my down time with my then-boyfriend, we eventually moved in together. Then one thing led to another and as my finances dwindled, my then-fiance seemed to take over and handle most of our financial situations. It was hard for me to adjust to at first, as I am sure it was hard for him at times. I had always been great with my money, as was evident by the condo I owned, and the amount of time I was able to financially support myself with no job. However, when the money ran very short, he stepped in and took care of me. He supported me through it, and still is to this day. I am still shocked that considering our situation we were able to pull off a beautiful wedding (as I said, I can be resourceful and creative).

And now that my health has improved I am getting back to the work force! Although my new job is on a casual/on-call basis, which means that I can have anywhere from no shifts on a paycheck or I can have full-time work. This sort of work situation is not good for any sort of stable financial planning, however it is good for my health, which still can be sporadic at times. Also, since we are in a place financially where my husband's income is enough to get by on, and still pay a little debt each month, I don't need to feel pressure to rush back to work full-time, possibly aggravating my body and making myself ill again (as has happened before).

And possibly the best benefit of it all, and one that I am encouraging myself to take advantage of, is the fact that in my free time I can focus on my creative dreams. I can paint, and create, and write! I know how easy it is to say that I am going to work towards my dreams and then to not do it, however I have a plan. I did say I was organized, didn't I?!

Schedules make my life work, writing things down and keeping things organized is the key to my success. It has worked for me before, and it will work for my now, and it will work for me in the future. So, I have made schedules for myself. I am also making deadlines for myself. I know I cannot expect it all from myself right in the beginning, but they are goals. Over time I will expect more and more for myself and my schedules will only become fuller with my own dreams and aspirations. I am going to succeed at my goals, I can. I have the ideas, I have the talent, and I have the know-how, now I just have to make it happen!

Watch out world!

No comments: